Alberta is one of Canada’s most economically and socially dynamic provinces.
Located in Western Canada, Alberta has a rapidly growing economy based in large part on its vast natural resources. Home to two of Canada’s largest cities, Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta is the most populous of the country’s three ‘Prairie provinces’. It is also renowned as one of the most beautiful parts of North America, with famous national parks such as Banff and Jasper.
The AINP is Alberta’s Provincial Nominee Program. Through this program, prospective immigrants with the skills and experience targeted by the province may receive an Alberta Provincial Nomination Certificate, which will speed up the overall immigration process.
The AINP consists of three main immigration streams:
- Strategic Recruitment Stream
- Employer-Driven Stream
- Self-Employed Farmer Stream
- Alberta Opportunity Stream (opens early 2018)
- Alberta Express Entry Stream (opens early 2018)
Strategic Recruitment Stream
This stream allows individuals to apply to the AINP without employer support. It consists of three different categories:
- Compulsory and Optional Trades Category – Tradespersons who hold either an Alberta Qualification Certificate or a Recognized Trade Certificate may be eligible under this category. Individuals must be residing in Alberta on a valid work permit at the time of application and work in a compulsory or optional trade.
- Engineering Occupations Category – This category was designed for engineers, designers and drafters with Alberta work experience. Applicants must work in one of the designated occupations.
- Post Graduate Worker Category – Individuals who have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution in Alberta, and who are currently working in Alberta in an eligible occupation on a Post-Graduation Work Permit, may be eligible for this program.
This stream allows employers to nominate workers to the AINP for Canadian immigration. In this way, applicants have the comfort of knowing that their job prospects are bright after becoming permanent residents, and employers can more easily retain the workers they need. This stream consists of three sub-categories:
- Skilled Worker Category – For individuals with a permanent, full-time job offer in an eligible skilled occupation. Individuals are not required to be working in Alberta at the time of application.
- International Graduate Category – For individuals who have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada, hold a valid Post-Graduation Work Permit, and have received a permanent, full-time job offer from an Alberta employer.
- Semi-Skilled Worker Category – For temporary foreign workers who have received a permanent, full-time job offer from an Alberta employer in an eligible semi-skilled occupation.
Self-Employed Farmer Stream
This stream allows individuals with the farming experience and personal funds to purchase and develop a farm in Alberta and apply for permanent residence. Successful applicants are farm owners/operators who plan to live in Alberta in order to purchase and manage their farming business.